9351 Clear Crackle
BOTZ earthenware glazes are available ready to use in 200ml jars. Stir the glaze thoroughly and apply 1 thick coats. The glaze soon dries allowing the pots to be lifted into the kiln. For best results allow the glaze to dry for a day before firing.
Results will vary depending on thickness of glaze, clay applied, shape of vessel and final firing temperature.
The ideal firing temperature is around 1040°C with a 30 minute soak.
Glaze finish: Glossy
- Transparent, glossy crackle glaze
- Must be applied in one coat only since it tends to run strongly
- To prevent blister formation, biscuit fire at 1000°C
- Can show blisters on some sorts of clay when applied on both sides/all around
- Crackles develop mostly after cooling in the kiln and this is reinforced with time, partially up to one week
- If crackles did not develop, the glaze can also be removed from the kiln at approx. 100 °C and quenched with cold water
- The crackle net is inked, e.g. with black Indian ink, multi-coloured acrylic paints, strong black tea or else